Therapy Horse Criteria
Do you have the right horse for Healing Reins?
We’re always on the lookout for the ideal therapy horse here at Healing Reins. We prefer horses who’ve had a career, such as dressage, 4-H, roping, ranching or extensive trail riding. Miles and experience add up to the quiet, assured horses our riders need.
Program horses must be:
- Sound at all three gaits (walk, trot and canter)
- Easy to get along with and have excellent ground manners (can be clipped and stand in cross ties)
- Easy to catch
- Gets along well with other horses in a herd and class setting
- Free of vices, such as kicking, biting and cribbing
- Between the ages of 6 and 23
* Right now we are not taking in any new program horses, but if you have a potential horse you’d like us to consider for the future, please contact herd coordinator and lead instructor Kathryn Massey at (541)382-9410 or kathryns(at)healingreins(dot)org.